A HARARE shop was yesterday destroyed by fire and goods worth over $150 000 went up in smoke.
When The Herald news crew visited Mimi’s Trading shop located at Corner Julius Nyerere Way and Charter Road, people watched haplessly as the fire ravaged the building.
The shop sells nuts, bolts and perfumes.
The fire brigade arrived at the scene almost an hour later when the inferno was spreading to nearby buildings. Business came to a halt as nearby retailers fought battles with looters.
Police had to intervene as people fought to gain entry into some nearby shops.
Mimi’s Trading shop owner, Mr White Machemba, estimated his loss at $150 000. He said the fire was ignited by flames from a welding machine in the shop.
“My welder was busy fitting a cage in the shop and as he was grinding it (cage) some cardboard boxes that were nearby caught fire. We tried to put out the fire with 20 litres of water but failed,” he said.
Police could not immediately comment on the matter yesterday as they needed time to verify the facts.