Events of the past days have not been rosy for Chief Shumba, who said he received death threats on his cellphone and witnessed vehicle marks that made a u-turn at his homestead without the owners identifying themselves.
Next, Sibanda woke up to a blazing homestead.
Despite reporting the two incidents to police, he now fears for his life.
“I woke up at around 01.30 only to see the hut burning. I had previously reported two incidences in fear of my life but I am shocked by this latest incident,” he said.
“I am the one who saw the fire and when I woke my husband up, he was a little bit hesitant until he saw the kitchen almost down,” Chief Shumba’s wife, Memory Hungwe said.
Village head, Siza Muhliwa said the incident is a first for Shanyura village, setting a feeling of uneasiness among villagers, who are still shocked by this incident.
The villages have ruled the possibility of a candle or paraffin light having caused the inferno, saying the fire started on the eastern side of the thatched house.
All kitchen utensils were lost in the inferno.