R. Kelly charged with 10 counts of sexual abuse

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

R Kelly has been charged with 10 counts of aggravated criminals-e-xual abuse, at least nine of which involve minors.

LOS ANGELES, CA – JUNE 30: R. Kelly performs onstage during R. Kelly, New Edition and The Jacksons at the 2013 BET Experience at Staples Center on June 30, 2013 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Earl Gibson III/Getty Images for BET)

The R&B star, whose real name is Robert Sylvester Kelly, has faced decades of claims of s-e-xual abuse against women and teenagers below the age of consent.

He has never been convicted and has previously denied other allegations.

An arrest warrant was issued, and the 52-year-old turned himself into police in Chicago later on Friday. His lawyer says he is “shell-shocked”.

Steve Greenberg told The Associated Press that his client was “extraordinarily disappointed and depressed” by the charges and maintains his innocence.

The indictment come just weeks after a documentary series called Surviving R Kelly aired.

It contained decades of allegations of abuse against R Kelly, from many women, including the singer’s ex-wife.

What are the allegations?
Prosecutors in Cook County announced the aggravated criminal sexual abuse charges, involving four victims, on Friday.
They say they took place between 1998 and 2010. Documents say at least three of the victims were aged between 13 and 16 at the time of their reported assaults.

Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx said he could face a maximum of seven years in prison for each count.

A no-bail arrest warrant has been issued for Kelly.

Mr Greenberg, his lawyer, told AP that he had offered to sit down with prosecutors before the filing to describe “why these charges are baseless” but said they refused.

How did the charges come about?
Cook County State’s Attorney Kim Foxx had urged women to come forward after the documentary series aired.

R. Kelly

R Kelly’s daughter: He’s a monster
Lawyer Michael Avenatti has said he is representing six people, including two alleged victims, making allegations against Kelly. At least one of the victims is included in Friday’s indictment, he said.
Mr Avenatti came forward last week to say he had uncovered and handed over previously unreleased footage showing Kelly engaging in s-e-x with an underage girl to prosecutors.

The lawyer says the 40-minute tape, believed to be shot in 1999, shows him having s-e-xual intercourse and engaging in other sexual and lewd acts with a 14-year-old. He has alleged both Kelly and the girl “repeatedly” reference her age as being 14 in the video.

Kelly was previously acquitted over another video tape of a similar nature in 2008.

Source: BBC

Share.