|FORMER Hurungwe West MP Temba Mliswa has warned state media journalists who were being used by Jonathan Moyo to start packing, saying a new minister whom they used attack at the behest of the ousted information minister will soon be taking over, NewZimbabwe.com has reported.
Addressing journalists at the Bulawayo Press Club Friday, the former Zanu PF Mashonaland West chairman accused Moyo of using the state media to destroy perceived political foes.
Moyo is currently in an uncomfortable position after President Mugabe reportedly asked him to step down from his Cabinet post following his election as MP for Tsholotsho North in the June 10 by-elections.
Mugabe had handpicked Moyo to occupy a cabinet post even though he had lost to MDC-T’s Roselene Nkomo in the July 2013 elections.
Both Mugabe and Moyo have remained mum on the issue.
Mliswa said, under Moyo, the state media had lost its mandate as it was used to settle political scores instead of focusing on government programmes.
“We forgot about ZimAsset, we were reporting on individuals and for these young boys who were being misled thinking that they will get promotion from him, I have bad news for you: there is a new minister of information coming and he is one that you used to write bad headlines about, so if I was any of you I would be packing and going.
“You cannot use state media to abuse and to advance your agenda; you can’t!,” said Mliswa.
Mliswa said he was hoping God would intervene and ensure that Moyo is not reappointed.
“I have become very spiritual; from the day I was told that he (Moyo) was no longer in office and in Parliament he cannot come because he is scared that he will not sit in front and sit at the back instead, I have been saying God may that remain so,” said Mliswa.
“Young journalists have been destroyed; whatever they were writing did not make sense.
“State media was attacking its own people when it is supposed to be protecting its own people but you know there is God. That leave must be a permanent leave for him,” he added.
Mliswa also attacked what he said were misplaced priorities by government, saying the money that was advanced for the construction of Tsholotsho stadium should have been used for other development projects.
“You have $4 million being pumped into Tsholotsho to build the stadium but ZIFA has no money and we have no money for food. If I had been elected back into Parliament that was the first question I was going to ask.
“Surely we are pumping $4 million to Tsholotsho to build a stadium to play soccer when the farmers in Hurungwe West have not been given money for maize,” he said.
Asked if he was going to join the so-called Zanu People First party, said to be led by ousted former vice president Joice Mujuru, Mliswa said he did not want to associate himself with “cowards”.
“You cannot expect me to be part of a party of a bunch of cowards who could not defend us and today they are saying they want to start a party when you were so close, when you were so powerful; party with whom?
“I am not part of that, I was kicked out of the party (Zanu PF), I am out of the party, I will watch as events unfold,” he said.