As reports of a planned demonstration by veterans of the liberation struggle grew, the minister responsible for the welfare of the former fighters has demanded an apology from Kasukuwere who is also local government minister.
Christopher Mutsvangwa who doubles up as war veterans chairman demanded that Kasukuwere apologises for comments attributed to him that denigrated the country’s former fighters in the bush war that brought majority rule.
“We are aware that there is a minister who insulted war veterans by calling them drunkards and taxi drivers.
“We demand that he apologises. We will not have that (insults),” Mutsvangwa said Friday.
He was addressing war veterans’ leadership in the volatile province of Manicaland where Kasukuwere has been having problems setting up a structure amid reports of resistance.
In the past week, murmurs swirled around that the former fighters were planning a demonstration against Kasukuwere.
According to the reports, Kasukuwere is accused of using his position to create structures that he “intends to use for succession purposes”.
He is also accused of being an American spy and also faces the ultimate crime in Zanu PF of allegedly plotting against President Robert Mugabe.
Early this week, war veterans’ secretary general Victor Matemadanda denied his association was behind the planned protest but indicated that Kasukuwere “has made many enemies”.
“His choice of words is not very wise. He is not responsible. We had thought that he would apologise but he has not,” said Matemadanda.
“We are of the opinion that this has nothing to do with his position as national commissar or the party but the personality that is Kasukuwere.
“As for the demonstration we are not aware. But people have a right to show their displeasure if they so wish but it is not the association that is planning such a thing if it is being planned at all.”
As the internal fissures in Zanu PF continue, Kasukuwere who fronts a group of Young Turks within the ruling party that also includes higher education minister Jonathan Moyo is reportedly against Vice-President Emmerson Mnangagwa taking over in a post-Mugabe administration.
Kasukuwere has denied the charges and seems unmoved by the planned demonstration with a petition reportedly being circulated by a group calling itself the “Revolutionary Guard”.
Moyo has defended Kasukuwere arguing on his social networking site Twitter account that the national commissar has won all by-elections since his elevation late last year, so “what is the purpose of a petition”-NewZimbabwe.com