The Equatorial Guinea federation has been fined $100,000 (£65,000) and ordered to meet the cost of treatment to supporters injured during the Africa Cup of Nations match between the host nation and Ghana.
Ghana won 3-0 in Malabo but the match was marred by unruly behaviour from the home fans who forced the Ghana supporters to take refuge behind one of the goals after showering them with missiles, forcing a near 40-minute hold-up before the visitors went through to the final against Ivory Coast on Sunday.
Caf said 36 Ghana supporters were hurt after coming under attack from home supporters, with 14 taken to hospital. It said one of those in hospital was under close observation.
The president of the Ghanaian Football Association said on Friday that he feared supporters would be killed in the violence that marred the semi-final.
Kwesi Nyantakyi told the BBC World Service on Friday: “We’re lucky we haven’t lost any lives, though people have sustained injuries arising from objects thrown at them.”
A horrifying array of items were picked off the pitch, including what appeared to be a small rock, half a dining plate, and a jagged shard of mirror.
Nyantakyi told the BBC World Service: “African football has grown beyond this level and in the 21st century we expect to see more decency in the behaviour of fans.
“A high-profile game of this nature should have attracted police, intelligence officers and military.
“I couldn’t have counted 50 policemen at the stadium, the rest were from Angola, who were not familiar with the terrain, so they didn’t know how to handle the situation. So the Ghanaian fans were left at the mercy of these violent fans.”
Jonathan Mensah, who played in the match for Ghana, labelled the violent scenes “unacceptable” for any environment.
“It was really an ugly sight. It has been a great tournament so far without any major problems.
“It’s unacceptable for such things to occur anywhere in the world let alone in a football stadium. I hope all fans are safe and my thoughts are with those who have sustained any injuries.”
Equatorial Guinea stepped in to host the tournament at the 11th hour after Morocco pulled out due to fears regarding the Ebola epidemic.
Equatorial Guinea face a third-place play-off against DR Congo in the same stadium on Saturday. In addition to the fine, Caf said the hosts would have to play their next match behind closed doors, but suspended the punishment for the third-place game.
It said: “In the event that identical incidents occur in the third-place match on February 7, the disciplinary committee of Caf will automatically impose the behind-closed-doors sanction on the Equatorial Guinea team who will have to play their next official international match without spectators.”