ZIFA president Cuthbert Dube has congratulated Dynamos for winning the 2014 Castle Lager Premier League championship, but his message torched a stormy debate on social media yesterday. Dube, speaking to ZIFA’s official website, challenged the Glamour Boys to do well in the Champions League next season.
“I would like to congratulate Dynamos’ executive, the technical department, the players and the supporters for lifting this year’s championship,” Dube said on the association’s website.
“It is remarkable that they have done it in the past THREE seasons and special mention goes to the head coach, our own (Callisto) Pasuwa, for setting the bar so high for any other coach in the country.”
The ZIFA boss challenged DeMbare to do better in the Champions League.
“I wish them all the best as they go out to represent Zimbabwe in the African safari and I implore them to do their level best to venture much farther than they have done in recent years,” he said.
The Harare giants have not yet committed themselves to taking part in the Champions League with the final registration date set for Sunday.
But Dube’s congratulatory message was the subject of a fierce debate on social media with some people questioning it.
Dube, though, could argue that his message was correct because, while congratulating DeMbare for winning the league title this year, he found it “remarkable that they have done it in the past THREE seasons.”
The Sunday Mail Acting Sports Editor, Makomborero Mutimukulu, questioned whether the ZIFA president was right to talk about three, instead of four, seasons.
“THE ZIFA PRESIDENT IS A YEAR BEHIND PANYAYA DZEBHORA . . . CHECK THIS STATEMENT FROM THE ZIFA WEBSITE . . . TIRI PA 4 (FOUR) IVO VARI PA THREE . . .,” Mutimukulu posted on his Facebook page.
Robert Tapfumaneyi joined in the debate and said rather than focus on Dube, they needed to look at the secretariat, which posted the message.
“It’s not Dube, it’s his PR officer,” argued Tapfumaneyi.
Robinson Chikowero said the secretariat, not Dube, was to blame for the ambiguity.
“It looks like the writer (who posted the article on the website) is trying to prove that Dr Dube is really out of touch with reality,” argued Chikowero.
“Maybe, the writer just sent some questions for Dr Dube’s comment and Dr Dube just copied and pasted from last year’s statement.
“Or the writer did that and forgot to edit the statement to ensure relevance and timeliness.”
Others, though, came in support of the ZIFA boss.
“Mako, statement yakanakisa iyo,” argued Teddy Zhou.
“Dube spoke of the present and reminds us of the past achievements.”
Jim Mashasha also came in full support of Dube.
“But, surely, would we say Mr Dube made a grave error from his statement? Hope hazvisi zvokumakana (because) his statement is even easier to understand than zvinombonyorwa notumwe tuma journalists.”
Meanwhile, the ZIFA Extra-ordinary General Meeting, which had been scheduled for this Saturday in the capital, has been postponed indefinitely.
There is a feeling within the domestic football family that this is part of a mission by the ZIFA secretariat to ensure that no board or assembly meeting is held where they could be held to account for some of their activities in the past few months.
This means that the hot issue of the missing $700 000, picked by auditors, will not be discussed by the ZIFA Assembly this year.
Some of the ZIFA assembly members feel that this is also part of the plot by the secretariat to ensure that the board remains dysfunctional, and its members do not get a chance to hold their employees accountable, for some of the activities that have dominated 53 Livingstone Avenue.
The failed 2017 Nations Cup bid will not be discussed by the ZIFA assembly this year.
ZIFA chief executive, Jonathan Mashingaidze, wrote to all the assembly members this week advising them that the assembly meeting had been postponed indefinitely.
“The Zimbabwe Football Association hereby informs your esteemed office and person of the postponement of the ZIFA extra-ordinary general meeting which was set to take place on 29th November 2014 in Harare,” wrote Mashingaidze.
“The postponement has been occasioned by the need to have all the decisions, in respect of the new ZIFA Rules and Regulations, are put together and the committee responsible is currently seized with finalising the documents.
“The postponement will also see the Association’s working group finalise the 2014 and 2018 Strategic Plan which shall be circulated to all members of the Assembly ahead of the new date of the Extra-Ordinary General meeting.
“The Strategic Plan, once finalised, will be launched at a special function to be graced by officials from Government, Fifa, SRC and the corporate world.
“Meanwhile, all affiliate organs are requested to favour the Association with their end-of-year reports by no later than Friday, 5 December, 2014.
“Any inconvenience caused by the postponement is sincerely regretted.”
However, others have questioned how Mashingaidze sent out notices of the EGM, almost three weeks ago, when he knew that the Strategic Plan was not ready and their Rules and Regulations needed to be circulated to all the Assembly members before they come for the indaba.
ZIFA paid $16 000 to the people who are preparing their Strategic Plan, in July this year, and questions are now being asked if it takes more than four months for such a plan to be put into place.
There is also the issue of the $250 000 Financial Assistance Programme funds which came from FIFA, of which $37 000 was paid to one of the people owed funds by ZIFA, without the input of the board members.