Zim man shot dead in SA

Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

A 30-YEAR-OLD Zimbabwean man was shot dead in South Africa in an incident which his family suspect was a case of robbery.

Brighton Mutarika who was working as a hairdresser in Johannesburg was shot five times while he was on his way home from his workplace.

Zimbabwe Ambassador to South Africa, Mr Isaac Moyo confirmed the incident but referred further questions to Zimbabwe’s Consular-General Mr Batiraishe Mukonoweshuro who indicated that he was yet to receive a report on the incident.

“I received communication on the matter but I don’t have finer details as it is being handled by the Consular-General’s office.

You can contact him for full details on the incident,” said Mr Moyo.

Brighton’s father who is also chairperson of the Plumtree District Soccer League, Mr Chakudza Mutarika said his son was buried in Soweto, South Africa on Sunday while a funeral service was held for him at their home in Plumtree.

“I received communication that my son had been shot in South Africa. He was staying in Yoeville area with a group of friends.

It seems that my son was heading home after work when he was attacked by unidentified people.

“They shot him five times — on the head, neck, chest and on both shoulders. They also took his cellphone and an undisclosed amount of money,” he said.

Mr Mutarika said his son’s body was later found by a passerby a few minutes after he had been shot.

He said when he first received the news of his son’s death he could not believe it.

He said he later assigned his daughter who also works in South Africa to identify the body.

“My daughter who also stays in South Africa went to identify Brighton’s body three days later at a government mortuary and confirmed that it was indeed him. She made all the funeral arrangements for my son and he was buried in Soweto on Sunday.

“As a family we realised that it would be costly to ferry his body back home and decided to bury him in the neighbouring country. While the burial was ongoing on Sunday we held a funeral service for him in Plumtree,” he said.

Mr Mutarika said he had not received any information on the arrest of the culprits.

He said his family will pursue the matter until his son’s murderers were arrested.

He said his son’s death was a huge blow to the family.

Mr Mutarika said Brighton left home for South Africa two weeks ago after securing a job.