HARARE – Vice President Constantino Chiwenga has been flown to China to continue his treatment for suspected poisoning, the presidency confirmed on Monday.
The 63-year-old former army commander was being treated in a South African facility before his latest transfer, which presidential spokesman George Charamba said followed discussions between the governments of Zimbabwe and China.
In a statement, Charamba said Chiwenga “is set to undergo further medical tests” in China, having recently received treatment in India.
“His relocation to China, which builds on the satisfactory recovery progress he has been making, follows weekend discussions at the highest level between the governments of Zimbabwe and China, at which a decision was taken to allow Chinese medical experts to join their expert counterparts from Zimbabwe, South Africa and India attending to the Vice President,” Charamba added.
Chiwenga’s allies say he is the victim of a bio-warfare attack by internal Zanu PF rivals which came after he led a military coup that ousted former President Robert Mugabe in November 2017.
The presidency has not disclosed the exact nature of Chiwenga’s illness, although President Emmerson Mnangagwa last week said his deputy was making good recovery. -ZIMLIVE