The Commander of the Zimbabwe National Army General Edzai Chimonyo has died.
He succumbed to cancer early this morning, Presidential spokesman George Charamba confirmed in a tweet.
- Tragedy As South Africa -Based Zim Family Dies In Gas Explosion
- Mutodi Dies
- Legendary Musician Steve Kekana Dies
- Kenneth Kaunda: Zambia’s first president dies aged 97
- Nigerian Prophet TB Joshua Dies
- Zimbabwean man serving 15 years dies in UK prison
- Air Zimbabwe Pilot Dies Under Mysterious Circumstances
Writing on his Twitter blog, Presidential spokesperson Mr George Charamba said Lt Gen Chimonyo died after a long battle with cancer.
“Devastated to announce the passing on of General Chimonyo early this morning after a long fight against cancer. go well freedom fighter, Commander and Ambassador,” he wrote.
ZNA Commander Lt-Gen Chimonyo participated in the liberation struggle and has held a number of appointments between 1980 and 2008 in various brigades, Army and Defence Headquarters before his transfer to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs where he was appointed ambassador to Tanzania until December 2017.
Lt Gen Chimonyo assumed his current position on December 18, 2017 when he took over from General Philip Valerio Sibanda, who was promoted to be the Commander Defence Forces.