Founders must be proud to be part of handing over and in moving into dignified retirement… MDC must clearly demonstrate that it is the next Government NOT the next Zanu-PF, says Manyenyeni.
FORMER Harare Mayor Bernard Manyenyeni has suggested that the MDC founder members must hand over the party to a new crop of leaders, while also broadening the skills base in the party which is now stuffed with lawyers.
In a piece written on his Facebook page, Manyenyeni bemoaned the fact that the MDC was fighting to be the next Zanu-PF and not to be the next Government, adding that voters are no longer attracted to personalities but party programmes that improve livelihoods.
Although he did not mention Chamisa directly by name, Manyenyeni, who was Mayor of Harare between 2013 and 2018, said after 20 years in opposition, faces that formed the party in 1999 must hand over power if indeed they mean it when they criticize Zanu-PF’s stranglehold on power.
Chamisa is the MDC founding youth leader.
We give below the statement published by Mr. Manyenyeni:
Bernard Manyenyeni wrote:
WHAT are some of the things that the MDC must do to regain its former glory? Note that, I only speak of “the MDC” in its broader, original spectrum.
- Back-to-factory settings, yes 1999 settings had fine optics, with broad-based leadership – attracting and retaining diverse membership across the socio-economic classes.
2. We must be a welcoming party, not a closed shop.
3. After 20 years the faces must look and sound fresh and renewing.
4. Founders must be proud to be part of handing over and in moving into dignified retirement.
5. Before long we should know who among our office bearers and deployees are retiring.
6. Lives and lifestyles outside active politics should be normal and natural. Trust me, it is more peaceful, much freer!
7. Founder-member entitlement and ‘careering’ are unhealthy and limiting.
8. The brand of being a party for a particular grouping is not bankable for votes and even more importantly, for performance before and when in government.
9. The darling MDC must clearly demonstrate that it is the next Government NOT the next Zanu-PF.
10. The MDC remains the best hope for the betrayed masses.
11. The dear party must sincerely visit all criticisms re-visit all aspects of its operations, processes, leadership, membership, deployments, victories and failures. These must be faced with brutal honesty and commitment.
12. Internal reviews and internal remedies will serve us well. Internal diplomacy is a big weapon.-Zimbabwe Voice