President Emmerson Mnangagwa on Friday fired Energy and Power Development Minister Fortune Chasi and appointed a new Agriculture minister, a senior official said.
- EXCLUSIVE : ZESA’s controversial Gata is actually president Mnangagwa’s brother-in-law
- Drama at Zesa as Energy minister Fortune Chasi locks Gata out of office
- Gata exposes Fortune Chasi, leaks ministry expenditures document
- Gata corruption: Energy minister Chasi orders full investigation… as board suspends the executive chairperson
- Sydney Gata fires demotes corrupt ZESA top brass
Chief Secretary to the President and Cabinet, Dr Misheck Sibanda said
Chasi had been fired for “conduct of government business (that) had
become incompatible with the President’s expectations.”
However , according to documents seen by the Zimbabwenewslive.com , Chasi took a US$50 000 bribe from businessman Farai Jere.
Chasi has with immediate effect been replaced by Soda Zhemu, the
legislator for Muzarabani North.
He has served as energy minister since May 2019, when he was promoted
from the post of deputy minister of transport.
Not much is in the public domain about his successor, Zhemu who was
born on the June 4, 1974 and is an accountant by profession.
Meanwhile, Dr Anxious Jongwe Masuka has been appointed new
Minister of Lands, Agriculture, Water, Climate and Rural Resettlement.
He replaces the late, Retired Chief Air Marshall Perrance Shiri who died
earlier this month.
“Dr Masuka has a very impressive professional record which began in
the teaching field as a lecturer at the University of Zimbabwe in the
Department of Biological Sciences as well as at the Zimbabwe Colle of Forestry between 1989 and 1995,” said Dr Sibanda.
Since then he has held various portfolios in the corporate world and
was until his latest appointment the chief executive of the Zimbabwe