VP Mnangagwa speaks on assassination attempt

Vice-President Emmerson Mnangagwa says he has no desire to seek vengeance for the recent attempt on his life, and neither will the incident deter him from executing his Constitutional mandate.

Speaking to our Midlands Bureau yesterday in his first comprehensive comments to local media on the matter, the VP said his escape meant God still wanted him alive.

He said this as he visited Queen of Peace Psychiatric and Rehabilitation Centre in Gweru.

“We dislodged the British who were oppressing us and this was achieved in 1980. Since then, we have been a sovereign state. We have been advocating unity. We want people to love and protect each other.

“The fact that I have received some threats on my life has nothing to do with our focus to unite our people, protect each citizen’s life.

“The sense of revenge is satanic. What happened does not affect bold people like us. The fact that I did not die means that it was not my time to die. When God’s time comes, no man born of a woman shall escape.”


On Tuesday night, intruders sneaked into VP Mnangagwa’s offices at Zanu-PF headquarters in Harare and sprinkled a poison on the floor and furniture.

His secretary,  Catherine Magaya, who was the first to enter the room on Wednesday morning, collapsed instantly upon inhaling the powder.

She is admitted at Harare’s West End Hospital.

Two other people – a driver, Dzingai Mutasa, and a member of the President’s Office – were also admitted after inhaling the substance.

Magaya told our sister paper The Herald from her hospital bed last week that she had witnessed several bizarre occurrences in her boss’s office prior to Zanu-PF’s 6th National People’s Congress.

She recounted how a rock fell “from nowhere, landing on shef’s (chief’s) desk” and missed her head by just an inch.

Magaya also related another incident in which she twisted her neck while in what she described as a trance after opening VP Mnangagwa’s office door.

Police are investigating the poisoning case.

VP Mnangagwa – after visiting Queen of Peace – headed to his rural home in Mapanzure, Zvishavane to formally inform relatives of his recent elevation.

He was accompanied by Bishop Andrew Wutaunashe,  Cephas Msipa, Chief Fortune Charumbira and Shurugwi South Member of Parliament Tapuwa Matangaidze, among other senior Zanu-PF and Government officials.

VP Mnangagwa told the gathering that he was grateful to President Mugabe, whom he has worked with for decades, for elevating him.

“President Mugabe is a principled man. He is someone who is consistent in whatever he does. It was yesterday (Friday) when we were sworn in by President Mugabe. I then decided to come and tell my aunt of this new development.

“. . . God had planned things for me. I remember all the members of the 1964 Crocodile Group have passed on and I am the only surviving member. I was also sentenced to death but again I escaped.

“I assure you that I will not forget all the people who were with me. Some of you might think that I am going to be too busy to meet the people. I have now become a servant to the people more than I have ever been.”

Zanu-PF Politburo member and Minister of State for Liaising on Psychomotor Activities in Education and Vocational Training  Josiah Hungwe commended the VP for his outstanding loyalty to the party.

“Our ways are not God’s ways. God has his own time.  Mnangagwa has been rewarded for being patient. He has been a dedicated and loyal member of the party,” he said.