Zim woman Dies in SA Bank Heist
Crime & Courts Main News

Zim woman Dies in SA Bank Heist

A ZIMBABWEAN foreign currency dealer died, allegedly of shock yesterday morning after witnessing armed robbers pouncing on a Standard Bank branch in Musina, South Africa, where they shot dead a security guard and injured another before disappearing with a yet to be disclosed amount. The robbers sped off from the scene in their getaway car, a VW Golf and were last night being hunted by a crack team from the South African Police Service assisted by helicopter.

The bloody movie style robbery happened at around 10AM along the N1 Highway.

A security guard who was part of a Cash-in-Transit team had his brains blown off after he was shot in the head while his colleague was shot in the leg, according to witnesses.

The dead forex dealer is a 41-year-old woman from Bikita.

Her name is being withheld as her next of kin are yet to be notified.

Another forex dealer was shot in the arm during the exchange of gunfire between the guards and the suspects.

Sources say they suspect the woman died of shock after witnessing the security guard being shot in the head and seeing his brains splattered on the windscreen of the cash-in-transit van.

The dead were taken to Musina Government mortuary while the injured are being treated at the same hospital.

Limpopo police spokesperson Colonel Ronel Otto confirmed the robbery incident.

She, however, said she was yet to get information on the death of the foreign currency dealer.

Col Otto said police were also yet to confirm the exact amount which was stolen.

“Two security guards were coming out of the bank after collecting some money when they were confronted by three armed men who were travelling in a Volkswagen Golf.

“The suspects then opened fire on the security guards.

“They shot and killed one guard and wounded the other on the leg. The suspects then took a cash box and a heavy caliber firearm before fleeing from the scene in their getaway car,” she said.

Col Otto said the trio sped off along Tshipise Road before police were called to the scene.

She said a police crack team was engaged in a high speed chase with the robbery suspects.

The police spokesperson said the three later dumped their car along the road and disappeared into the bush.

“Several shots were fired by both the police and the suspects.

“We’re still pursuing the suspects with the assistance of a private helicopter,” said Col Otto.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *