VP Chiwenga who has been linked to a coup and recently returned from China where he had a medical review on Wednesday takes over as Zimbabwe’s president while Mnangagwa is on annual vacation.
Announcing the news, Acting Chief Secretary in the Office of the President George Charamba said Mnangagwa will not be travelling abroad and Chiwenga takes over as acting president.
Unlike his predecessor, the late former President Robert Mugabe, who used to spend his vacation in Malaysia and Singapore, Mnangagwa will spend his annual leave in the country.
“The President will spend his vacation in the country,” read the press statement.
The two Vice Presidents, according to the press statement, Constantino Chiwenga and Kembo Mohadi, will take turns to lead the country in acting capacities.
Mnangagwa’s vacation announcement follows widespread speculation that he was not going to take his annual leave in fear of a coup.
Some observers say Mnangagwa fears leaving the country in fear of being toppled.
Mnangagwa has dismissed the suggestions as a farce.
- Harare Judge Rules Marry Chiwenga Unlikely to Be Jailed
- Marry Chiwenga Porn Links As Hackers Target Her Investigator’s Phone
- Marry Chiwenga too sick to commit murder
- Marry Chiwenga Further Remanded In Jail
- Marry Chiwenga Luxury Collection: Discover Her Favourite Bags, Pets, Rolex, Planes, Cars And a Bizzare Choice Of Men
- Marry Mubaiwa Loots US$100 Million Cash and Gold From General Chiwenga’s Safe – Report
- Marry Chiwenga Faces 60 years in Jail, Says Prosecutor
- EXCLUSIVE: Marry Chiwenga Cruise Holiday Pictures With Frank Buyanga Irks Zimbabwe Vice President